Who are the exams for?
- Every ESDA dancer has the opportunity to work through the exam grades and earn certificates, awards, medals and trophies.
- The street dance exams also cover breakdance, and even our Under 5s can enter.
How do the exams work?
- An examiner from the International Dance Teachers Association (IDTA) will visit the studio towards the end of term.
- Dancers will perform one or more routines, depending on which grade they’re taking.
- They’ll perform in small groups – don’t worry, no-one will have to perform on their own.
- And it’ll be a routine they already know, so no extra classes to prepare them for the exam.
- The examiner will assess them on three criteria: rhythmic interpretation, presentation, and technique.
What's so great about street dance exams?
- Performing in front of an examiner helps dancers to really focus on their technique and presentation, and supports their overall development.
- The exams are also brilliant for building dancers’ confidence. Working toward grades and earning awards gives dancers a real sense of achievement, and lets them chart their progress at ESDA.
Are the exams compulsory?
- Nope! We totally understand that some children may not want to enter.
- ESDA is about having fun. We want every child to love coming to class – there’s absolutely no pressure on them to take an exam if they don’t want to.
How much does the exam cost?
Is there a sibling discount?
- Afraid not. The IDTA charges us for every dancer taking the exam.
When is the exam?
- The next set of exams will run all day on June 30th 2018.
- Your child’s group will be allocated a time-slot to perform their routine. They’ll be required for the full hour, as they’ll practise before the exam.
- Just so you know, we’re aiming to schedule the exams around the time of your child’s class, but unfortunately we can’t guarantee this. It’s possible they’ll need to attend at a different time. We’ll let you know your child’s time-slot as soon as possible.
Interested? Here’s what to do...
- Let myself or Danielle know when you drop off your child on Saturday, so we can register them with the examination board.
- Please bring £25 in a sealed envelope, with your child’s name and group clearly printed on the front.
- The exam fee must be paid by Saturday 18 November at the latest, otherwise we won’t be able to register them with the examination board in time.